State authority is anchored equally in the populace and His Serene Highness, the Prince. As a microstate, Liechtenstein has always been oriented towards the outside world and is a member of many important international organisations.
For years, Liechtenstein has been accorded a triple-A rating by the major rating agencies. Their assessments underscore that Liechtenstein has:
- a long-standing history of political, economic and legal stability;
- an internationally competitive economy;
- a high level of productivity;
- a healthy national budget and balance sheet;
- an impressive degree of prosperity amongst the populace; and
- owing to the Principality’s customs and currency treaty with Switzerland and membership in the European Economic Area (EEA), a solid monetary and commercial foundation.